How Important is Elementary Education?
It is beyond controversy that education is a sharpener and a source of knowledge beginning from an individual to society and the world at large.
Elementary education is a stage of foundational exposure to the basics of education which will be applied throughout one’s lifetime. Without a doubt, we can assert that numbers and letters are the main sources of literary and verbal communication for man and at this elementary stage, there is a known exposure to the world of writing, arithmetic, and a social science which is sacrosanct for attaining higher levels of education. Hence, elementary education is as important as life.
Elementary education is synonymous with primary education but in the United Kingdom, it is commonly known as elementary education. One unique thing about elementary or primary education is the fact it is recognized and practiced almost everywhere in the world, though with a different approach but with one goal.
Importance of Elementary Education Stage
- Building literacy: Elementary Education is the first academic exposure given to a child. This helps to eradicate illiteracy and initiates primary life essentials. Like the art of writing, reading, and solving life-applicable arithmetic. Devoid of this, communication would be impossible in our day-to-day activities.
- Increases Independence: Children who are so glued to their parents, and barely stay without their parents gain independence from the introduction of Creech and early childcare helps and to imbibe the culture of independence. At some point, they are allowed to feed on their own. Play with your friends. This give carrier women and mothers the time to pursue other goals aside motherhood.
- Initiation of coexistence: Elementary Education increases coexistence. It is one of the initial places for children to see new faces that will last long, study each other’s behavior and learn to exist with people who do not live under the same roof with them. Most relationships created at the elementary stage go a long way with indelible memories. It helps children to socialize and creates external relationships and bond.
- Brain Sharpener: Most of the things taught in the secondary and tertiary stage of life would not be properly understood if elementary education was skipped. Higher levels of education applies principles and knowledge gained from elementary speech to solve problems.
- Eradicate Lifetime Literacy: illiteracy is the absent of the ability to read, write and solve other basic problems where literacy, numeracy is needed for communication. This is the aim of elementary education. It helps to raise people who will not be blinded by the shadows of illiteracy.
- Career Choice: Proper study of a child’s performance during the course of elementary education helps as a guide to know where they child will do well career- wise. Parents and teachers are able to identify and follow up their observation in the child for career guidance.
Example The child who loves mathematics could be a potential banker or Math tutor.
The child who loves English could be a potential mass communicator
The child who loves physical education could be an upcoming World athletics best athlete
- Self development elementary: It helps to develop pupils culturally, behaviorally. Physically also helps to imbibe good manners and help children to learn good advocates, religiously, and physically. It’s a room to to get adapted with good etiquette.
Types of Elementary Education
Free school funded by governments and
Private or independent schools where parents and guardians pay school fees for their wards
This applies to both the Nigerian and the United Kingdom
Elementary Education in Nigeria
In Nigeria, this education encircles through primary one to six and is regulated by an education body known as Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC). Pupils spend up two- three years in the preschool and nursery stage and six years in the primary stage amounting to nine years of elementary education where after,, a child is expected to have a good mastery of reading, writing, and solving basic arithmetic problems. It has also been made free and compulsory in Nigeria to enhance accessibility to every Nigerian child. At the final stage of this phase, the pupil sits for an exam known as the common entrance examination which is nationally recognized taken by students to qualify them for any desired secondary institution
Elementary Subject Taught in Nigeria
Subject taught in Nigeria elementary schools includes Mathematics, English, Christian religious knowledge, Islam for Muslim states, Agric, Home Economics, Computer French, and Fine Arts for private schools.
United Kingdom Approach Towards Elementary Education:
Elementary or primary education as it is called in the UK begins at the age of 5 and ends at the age of 11. The body responsible for primary or elementary education in the Department for Education (DEF)
The duration for elementary education in the UK is six years. This style of education is inaugurated with a beginning stage known as pre-school or reception stage for age of 4-5. This stage is tagged as (Key-stage1) in the UK, after which it is continue with the junior stage for the age of 5-11(Key stage 2). The process of the this level of education is interfered with SATs. Standard Assessment Test is a national tests taken at the end of each key stage. The first Key stage assessment are not nationally recorded but it is the opposite for the second stage.. They are marked directly by teachers who taught the children. SATs is not an exam to separate passes from failures alone but to know the progress and level of children in this key stages.
At Key stage1, Assessment is done in maths (arithmetic) and English (reading, spelling, punctuation and grammar).
At Key stage 2, Assessment is also done, but now English reading comprehension, grammar, punctuation, spelling, mathematical reasoning, and arithmetic.
After children are being assessed for the second stage of SATs, their performances are nationally marked, recorded and released by Summer.
SATs Report Consist Mainly of Three Things
The child’s actual score known as the raw score
A Comparison score from year to year known as the scaled score
A standardized score known as the expected score.
In the UK, if a child’s score meets the standard SAT’s score, he or she is set to graduate from the elementary stage to commence the secondary stage of education
The SAT score range is 101-119. This means that any below this range. He or she does not meet the expected standard in their KS2 SATs.
Elementary Subject Taught in United Kingdom Schools
Subjects taught in the UK during elementary education for Key Stage One and Two includes:
English, mathematics, science, Design and Tech, History, Geography, Arts and Design, Music, physical education, one or two, and foreign languages.
Illiteracy begins when a child is deprived of the goodness of elementary education. This could become a setback to society. Elementary education is made free and compulsory, therefore, no child should be deprived of this goodness.