Kanye West Story : From Fierce Rejection to World Best Selling Music Artist
Kanye West is an American rapper, record producer and fashion designer. He is one of the world’s best-selling music artist. A recipient of 21 Grammy Award with more than 140 million singles sold worldwide. His first album was “The College Dropout” and was peaked at No. 2 on ‘the Billboard Hot 200 chart’ and had 2.6 million copies sold and had 10 Grammy nomination, won 3. These are best rap album and best rap song from the single “Jesus Walks”. He is married to Kim Kardashian: An American media personality and model and their union is blessed with 4 children. He is a founder and head of a creative content company named after his mother Donda. He has collaborated with many fashion companies such as Nike, Louis Vuitton, A.P.C and Adidas with the later resulting in Yeezy. Kanye is worth 1.3 billion according to Forbes.
EARLY LIFE OF KANYE WEST
Kanye West was born on June 8, 1977, in Atlanta, Georgia to Ray and Donda West who both divorced when Kanye was 3. He moved to Chicago with his mum after the divorced, His mother, an English teacher and later a professor at Chicago State University and his father a photojournalist and was active politically in Black Panther, and later became a church counsellor. West attended Polaris High School. Kanye had a love for art at a very young age of five when he began to write poetry and his mother even agree to have notice his passion for drawing and Music at grade 3, these skills might have aided him to receive a scholarship to Chicago American Academy of Art,
“We were coming back from a short vacation in Michigan when he was 5, and he composed a poem in the back seat,” Donda said. “The one line that sticks with me is ‘the trees are melting black.’ It was late fall and the trees had no leaves. He saw how those limbs were etched against the sky and he described them the way a poet would.”
He later transferred to Chicago University to study English were he later drop out to pursue his music career, due to his class schedule affecting his music career.
TROUBLES KANYE FACED BEFORE SUCCESS.
· Parent’s Divorced: growing up with a single mother and a scarce father present should have much affected Kanye a lot.
· Rejection: Kanye faced a lot of rejection from record label companies, even the company he worked for as a producer didn’t accept him to do a rap for them due to him not possessing the ‘gangster image’ common among rapper and hip-hop artists then and Roc-A-Fella Records initially rejected him.
LESSONS FROM KANYE WEST STORY
― Gina Greenlee quotes “that Experiences is the best teacher even when it’s not your own” so let’s learn a thing or two from the Kanye West story
· Find an inspiration from every situation you find yourself: Kanye inspired himself when he had an accident to release his first song “Through the wire” based on the reconstruction surgery of his jaw, he even went on to say “the album was my medicine” explaining how the album helped him beat the pain. Secondly “The college dropout”, his first solo album which was peaked at No. 2 on Billboard hot 200 chart was from an inspiration he got from dropping out of school to pursue a music career.
· Know your talent: Kanye west discover his talent in music at a very young age and decided to work on it.
· Take Decisions that better your life, not to please everybody: West decision to drop out of school to pursue his musical career didn’t go well with his mother, but he moved ahead to take it.
“It was drummed into my head that college is the ticket to a good life … but some career goals don’t require college. For Kanye to make an album called College Dropout it was more about having the guts to embrace who you are, rather than following the path society has carved out for you.” Donda said.
· Never give up: according to Babe Ruth “You just can’t beat a person who won’t give up.” Kanye didn’t let rejection from Capitols Record where he was working as a producer, to allow him to become a rapper didn’t deter him from persuading the more which make Damon Dash to reluctantly sign him up for Roc-A-Fella Records.
· Always Find a response or solution to a problem, not an excuse: before Kanye’s first song “Through the Wire,” was complete it was leaked, Kanye decided to response by making the song even better than it was by revising and rewriting the song and even the production had gospels choirs and strong drums introduced to it, some of this upgrade came from his personal purse.
· Be ready to try something new: most of the time try a new thing can be very risky most of the team when nobody has done it before, they were many times in the career of Kanye west when he went out of the norms to do something not done by anyone else notably when he decided to performed hip-hop in stadiums and arena in a bid to make it more anthemic. Trying to do something new can be a reward because your customer or fans might be looking for something done differently, Kanye added the non-gangster approach to music and change the narrative about hip-hop.
· Diversify your income: looking at the net worth of Kanye West you might wonder how he reaches the billion-dollar status, but that has been made possible by the other source of wealth Kanye has like fashion and creative content outside music, this should motivate you to try out that new idea you have been nursing in your mind.